
We still had time for another visit and we chose to go to the Viking Ship Museum. On display are three viking ships (including two in a magnificent state of conservation) that have been used as burial sites in the 9th century and have been discovered about 100 years ago. There are also a large number of every day objects (sledges, horse cart, bed posts...), some of which are very delicately crafted. The building was designed to accomodate the ships and the archeological finds from the burial groud, and I find it very beautiful with its sober, elegant lines and the profusion of natural light.


Soyons honnête, je connais assez peu de choses sur les vikings (ce qui est une honte pour une normande, d'ailleurs). En viking, je sais juste dire "Strand Hugg", qui signifie "raid sur la côte", et donc j'avais surtout la vision de barbares chevelus plus ou moins rustauds, qui débarquaient sur nos côtes en hurlant pour égorger nos fils et nos compagnes. Bon, ça n'est peut-être pas tout à fait faux, mais je découvre aussi que c'étaient des artisans raffinés, des artistes même. Les motifs sculptés des bateaux et des objets sont délicatement intriqués, soignés, complexes. C'est très fin, émouvant. Je suis assez subjuguée (ainsi que par la beauté de la construction navale, mais là c'est moins une surprise). On passera encore plus de deux heures dans ce musée.
To be honest, I know very little about the viking civilisation. I had an image of hairy barbarians, a bit (a lot?) rough around the edges, that would raid the coastal villages killing everybody in the way (or wait, is this Attila the Hun?). Well, maybe this image is not completely wrong, but I discover there is so much more to the vikings than I thought. I discover they were refined craftsmen (artists even). The boats and displayed objects are sculpted with intricate, complex, delicate motives. It's very beautiful (and actually very moving). So much care and efforts went into making these objects meaningful and beautiful. I am very impressed (and also by the beauty of the boat building, but this is less of a surprise). We will spend a good couple of hours in this museum.









1 commentaire:
Les détails sont vraiment intéressants. Sur la première photo, j'aime beaucoup l'ombre projetée sur la voûte qui complète bien le profil du navire.
Enregistrer un commentaire